Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chills During Working Out = Overheating!

So I decided to up my game and do Pilates and Zumba back to back. Pilates was torture and I was sweating profusely! I thought nothing of it and drank water throughout. Then Zumba class, after 40 minutes I started to feel chills and my skin was clammy, although I was sweating buckets I thought I was going to faint right there so I walked out of class, sat in a cool area and drank gatorade to even out my electrolyte imbalance. I felt ok but I still feel kind of weird, must be just paranoia. This is the first time this has happened to me. Oh well, lesson learned. Drink water, before, during, and after a workout. Next time I'll bring a banana and a sports drink just in case.

Has this ever happened to you?

Here's some helpful info found on sparkpeople.com:

Chills While Running?

Sounds like you may be experiencing the first symptoms before heatstroke hits (especially with chills). water is great but when you are sweating excessively and the body can't keep cool due to high humidity levels (no evaporation is allowed to help cool your down) you need to stop running and get rehydrated with a good electrolyte sports drink such as Gatorade, Powerade, or Accelerade. Drinking too much water and not replacing the lost electrolytes can lead to a potentially fatal condition known as hyponatremia (AKA low blood sodium).

Hope this helps and don't play around with any symptoms that are new, especially in the heat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Ben Cousins said...

I used to push myself to those sorts of crazy limity, too.

These days I'm more sensible and after my pilates class, there's no way i'd consider doing Zumba!

I think there's some research that shows that for general fitness, exercising longer than 45 minutes can make the benefits redundant (law of diminishing returns or something like that).

Stay healthy!