Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Urge to Purge

I've been purging all this week. I purged my bedroom of all my old junk: college books from 10 years ago, purses, shoes, clothes I never wear anymore, miscellaneous knick knacks, old makeup. It feels really good to purge, being free of all these superfluous empty "things. It's amazing how much we consume and consume and consume some more, most of it are things we don't need. Why do we make our lives so complicated by filling it with so much stuff? It's disgusting really.

When work was done in my room, my urge to purge still needed to be satiated.

So I gave in, I had to do it. I cleaned out my parents' fridge and it took about 3 hours. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I swear you'd need to wear a hazmat suit to open the door. My mom never seems to throw anything away. She was a byproduct of growing up during WWII which means throwing things away(even if it is useless junk)is wasteful. The fridge was just N-A-S-T-Y! Everything was covered in mysterious sticky gunk! I threw out 3/4 of the stuff. It was either expired or stunk to high heaven! I took the shelving apart (easy slide out glass shelves are an awesome invention...btw), took out the bins, and gave it good wash in the sink with bleach. I scrubbed every speck of mold and dirt inside the fridge. I was a cleaning maniac. Now it looks good as new. Big Eva would be so proud of me....

Note that I've cleaned out just the refrigerator half. Next is the freezer. Ugh!


I was talking the other night with HopAlong about the difference between both our families. He comes from a super clean household. His mom, Big Eva, is a neat freak known to clean the blinds at 3am. Although his house is clean, there is a constant streaming of noise pollution. Someone screaming down the house, his sister's music blaring from her room at all hours, blaring drunks on the street. It annoys him to no end. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I come from a very quiet but cluttered household which makes me want to tear my hair out. Piles of junk everywhere! I clean and clean only to find it at the same state as it was within a week.

HopAlong and I predict when we set up house together, it will be very minimal with a noise decibal so low, you can hear a mouse fart. I can't wait for that day to come.

No comments: