Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh Glorious Sunshine!

Getting baked in 2008!


I never understood why Craig was so obsessed with the sunshine and heat. When he would come visit me in California, every chance he would get, he would sit underneath the rays of the scorching sun and tan himself. He, in turn, would never understand why I would avoid the sun at all costs. My excuse was always, "Skin cancer!". Frankly, having been born and raised in California, the sun bored me. Believe it or not, seeing blue skies and sunshine 10 months out of the year can be very monotonous. You want a little variety sometimes. Of course, this was before I ever step foot in Belfast where the sun makes a very rare appearance and seeing another gray sky makes me want to scream my head off. I guess you don't know how good you have it until you lose it.

This whole week the days have been gorgeous! And we were finally able to go outdoors, now that Craig is feeling better! We drove to the waterfront and had a nice walk, we sat in the grass, closed our eyes and soaked in the rays. It was so good to feel the heat against our skin. Craig describes it like being wrapped in a warm blanket except you're outside. It's a different kind of heat here. A dry pleasant kind of heat not a muggy kind of heat that saps your energy like on the rare days in Belfast.

I wish I can take this California sun with me and pack it in my suitcase.

No comments: